If you bought a campervan already or you are planning to buy one at some stage will be important to know some mechanical and non mechanical basics.

1. What my campervan needs to be legal on the road for at least 6-12 months?


When you buy any campervan in New Zealand it should have new WOF and registration, you can buy it without both things but as an overseas traveler you must avoid buy something without this two basic things.

The WOF (Warrant of Fitness) is a mechanical check that can be done in any mechanical workshop, usually costs between 25$ to 50$.


Cars under year 2000 are able to get 6 months WOF and cars over year 2000 up to 12 months.

Registration: The cost of this New Zealand tax depends on the model of the car, year, kms and CC rating. Usually costs from 9$ to 18$. On diesel cars the registration use to be around 35-50% more expensive.

If you have or you are planning to get a diesel car be aware of the RUC.

RUC: Is a tax to pay depending on the kms you make, you can pay it on any AA or VTNZ station.

Average cost: 60$/1000km.

If you buy a diesel campervan with kms over the RUC counter you will have to pay them back as well.

2.Checking fluids and tyres pressure


In most of the cases your car or campervan will have over 200,000km on the clock and more than 20 years, that means a regular check every 500-1000km will be good, you don’t have to bring it to a mechanic for a check, just have a look at the fluids like engine oil, water and make sure the pressure of the tyres is right in all of them.

3. Check spare tyre, tools and security stuff


Before starting your trip check if the spare tyre is on the right place and the car has a jack / iron tool.

In New Zealand there is no obligation to have first AID kit or an emergency jacket, however you can get one for your car, you never know what could happen on the road.

Some extra security stuff you can get:

-Jumper cables

-10/20L petrol tank


-Simple tool kit

-Fire extinguisher

4.The car broke down or you are in a dangerous situation


If you are stranded due to a vehicle breakdown on a free way, here we give you some tips.

-Pull over and out of traffic if possible. Even if all of the emergency lights are activated, some highway drivers do not pay close attention and could rear-end the disabled fleet vehicle, causing further damage or injury.

-Don’t attempt to fix the vehicle, even if it appears it’s going to be a quick or easy fix. Wait for professional help to arrive.

-Only exit the vehicle if it is necessary or safe to do so. If possible, raise the vehicle hood to alert passing authorities that the vehicle is disabled and help is needed.

Patience is a virtue in breakdown situations. Particularly in heavily trafficked metropolitan areas, highways are regularly patrolled by police and tow truck operators — help will arrive soon.

-Lastly, make sure to keep a copy of the fleet’s roadside assistance or accident policy in the vehicle at all times.