Today’s spotlight is on the most sought-after, dependable, and cost-effective brand in New Zealand—Toyota.
Whether you’re traversing urban streets or exploring remote landscapes, Toyota Campervans dominate the scenery. These versatile vehicles come in various sizes, and their popularity is particularly evident in rental fleets, thanks to their reliability and manageable maintenance costs.
In the upcoming post, our focus centers on Toyota Campervans tailored for backpackers. Here, we exclusively delve into budget-friendly models, excluding caravans or motorhomes from the discussion. Stay tuned for an in-depth exploration of these affordable and traveler-friendly Toyota options!
Most popular Toyota Campervans in New Zealand
Explore the Toyota Estima Self-Contained
- Popular Models: Seen on roads between 1992 and 2005.
- Design: A medium-sized campervan perfect for 2 persons, effortlessly convertible into self-contained.
- Mileage: Typically ranges from 200,000 to 250,000 km.
- Price Range: Affordable, with models priced between $8,000 to $10,000.
Discover the Toyota HI ACE Self-Contained
- Popular Models: On the road from 1990 to 2000.
- Configuration: Features a long wheelbase suitable for 2 or 3 persons, easily adaptable to self-contained setups.
- Mileage: Averages between 250,000 to 400,000 km.
- Price Range: Priced reasonably, with models ranging from $10,000 to $15,000.
Other noteworthy models
- Toyota Townace
- Toyota Voxy
- Toyota Gran Via
- Toyota HI ACE (Regius Version)
Converted people movers (On budget option)
Explore the Comfort of Converted Models:
- Toyota Gaia and Toyota Ipsum: Converted in New Zealand, featuring a spacious double mattress at the back for a comfortable sleep for two.
- Storage-Friendly Design: Abundant storage space beneath the mattress, facilitated by a straightforward wooden structure, offering an affordable option for a converted campervan.
- Budget-Friendly Range: Priced attractively, falling within the range of $5000 to $6000.
Discover the simplicity and affordability of these converted models, designed to enhance your campervan experience with comfort and practicality.
Buying VS Renting a Toyota Campervan
Opting to buy a campervan in New Zealand emerges as the favored and practical choice for tourists embarking on journeys lasting at least 2 months. The allure lies in the potential to resell, recouping up to 100% of the initial investment. Often, this approach proves significantly more cost-effective than protracted campervan rentals for 3, 6, or 12 months.
However, prudence is paramount when purchasing. If acquiring from a private seller, a pre-purchase mechanical check is imperative. Once the transaction is complete, any issues are solely the buyer’s responsibility.
In contrast, selecting a campervan from a dealership ensures a different experience. It typically includes a minimum 30-Day Mechanical Warranty, assuring a mechanically sound vehicle with a fresh Warrant of Fitness (WOF) and recent servicing. This means no unexpected costs immediately post-purchase.
👉 If you are looking for a Toyota Campervan to buy, you can check our listings here: Backpacker Campervans for Sale
Choosing to rent a campervan in New Zealand is perfect for trips lasting up to 6–8 weeks, offering a stress-free experience. Departure is worry-free, and any issues like accidents or breakdowns are handled by the hiring company on your behalf.
Nevertheless, if your travel plans exceed 45–60 days or more, purchasing becomes a more cost-effective choice.
For Toyota campervan rentals, we strongly endorse Spaceship Rentals. They offer the most popular Toyota models and provide service across the entire expanse of New Zealand.
For additional information about Spaceship Rentals, explore their booking system here: Spaceship Rentals
Repairs, Maintenance, and Parts Suppliers
Toyota Suppliers in Auckland
Toyota Suppliers in Wellington
Toyota Suppliers in Christchurch
Useful Links & Info about Campervans in New Zealand
— Second Hand Campervans (full info)
If you have any questions, leave us a comment below. Safe travels!